USA TRAVEL EXPERIENCES
When we think of the travel experiences you can have in the USA, we think of the word DIVERSITY. In fact, you could almost rename it the United States of Diversity.
Surpisingly each of the 50 states feels quite different from the next, both in landscape and culture.
With so many things to experience in the USA, we know that it might sound a bit overwhelming. But that’s where we come in, your personal USA travel advisors.
On this page, we'll share a few ideas for the different types of experiences and themes you can have traveling in the USA.
USA HISTORICAL EXPERIENCES
With its Spanish, English, Mexican, African, Black, and French influences, the History of the US is complicated and fascinating.
The USA has many tours, attractions experiences to help you learn history firsthand, especially on the East Coast which is home to the original 13 colonies.
You'll find interactive experiences, museums and significant monuments that tell the story of America from the past to the present.
We often find a historic trolley tour or guided walking tour is the best way to get to know the history of important cities or towns and their key role in US history.
Some ideas include:
- Washington D.C.
- Greater Williamsburg
- Statue of Liberty
- Mount Rushmore
- St Augustine
- The Liberty Bell
- Fort Sumter
- Civil Rights Trail
- Civil War Trail
Also, see these posts
- An East Coast Revolutionary Road Trip
- 3 Places to visit in Idaho for educational experiences
- Tombstone, Arizona: Welcome to the Land of Lawlessness
- Harvard University Tour, Boston
- Why Remember the Alamo
- The Grassy Knoll Mystery: A visit to the JFK Museum, Dallas
- 5 Important Experiences on the US Civil Rights Trail, Montgomery, AL
USA MUSICAL EXPERIENCES
Another thing we love about living in the US are the diverse music experiences available.
Even just by living in Raleigh we have seen some of our favorite bands and musicians (like Coldplay and Jack Johnson).
On the road, we have had incredible music experiences like seeing Jazz in New Orleans, and discovering new favorite American bands like the Talbott Brothers at a free live music concert in a park in Idaho.
Some top music destinations in the USA include:
- Nashville, TN - also known as music city and the home of Country Music. It’s Famous for honky tonk bars and the Grand Ole Opry
- Austin, TX - home to more than 200 venues and has the nickname "Live Music Capital of the World".
- New Orleans, LA - also known as The Big Easy and is Famous for jazz.
- Memphis, TN - The home of Blues and Elvis Presley. Don’t miss Beale Street and of course Graceland.
Don't miss these posts with ideas:
USA OUTDOOR ADVENTURE
From beaches, to mountains, to desert landscapes, swamplands, and rolling hills, the USA has endless opportunities for outdoor adventure. It's what we love exploring the most. You can find many adventures along some of America's most scenic drives.
Here are some of the most fun adventures we have had.
- 14 Epic Adventures in the America Southwest
- Climb 499 Steps to the Chimney Rock State Park, NC
- Cades Cove Bike Ride, Smoky Mountains NP (with bears)
- Thrilling ATV adventures in St George
- Peek-a-Bo and Spooky Slot Canyon Hike Utah
Be sure to check out our posts on:
USA FOOD + DRINK EXPERIENCES
Love eating your way around the world? Good food experiences abound in the USA including Creole, Cajun, Vietnamese, Tex Mex, and BBQ (in all manner of styles and flavors.
Top food destinations include:
- New Orleans, LA - the French, Spanish, Filipinos and other nationalities have contributed to make this one of America’s most food centric cities. Try Cajun & creole, and our kids love the French beignets. Check these 11 places to eat in New Orleans
- San Francisco, CA - Home of the farm-to-table movement and world class Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese and Italian. One of our fave foodie cities.
- NYC - whatever you crave, NY has it. You’ll find Italian delis near Mexican taquerias near Polish bagel shops near Turkish schwarma trucks.
- Chicago, IL - well known for deep dish pizza and Chicago-style hot dogs
- Portland, OR - a well known foodie destination in the Pacific Northwest. All diets embraced. Best known for its gourmet food trucks of which there are around 500 at any one time and they feature food from all around world. Also great donuts!!
- New England - lobsters, oysters, and fresh fish galore. The Northeast is paradise for seafood lovers.
- Durham, NC - recently named the South’s “tastiest town”. A passionate mix of chefs, farmers, brewers, bakers, and baristas have transformed Durham into one of the hottest food destinations in the South.
Beer & Wine
The craft beer culture in the US is HUGE. Microbreweries have exploded in popularity in recent years and it continues to grow. It's one of our favorite ways to support local.
Some of the states that produce the most quantity and quality include:
California is the state most known for wines. Be sure to taste beyond the Golden State, in excellent wine regions throughout the country.
Don't miss these food and wine experiences:
USA CULTURAL EXPERIENCES
Looking to get amongst the American culture? With 300 million people over 50 states, you can find it all over the country in different forms and flavors!
The US is sometimes described as a "melting pot" in which different cultures have contributed their own distinct flavors to American culture.
A few cultural experience ideas are:
- Mardi Gras, NOLA - incredible celebration with large colorful floats and parades. And yes you can take your kids, we did. Here are our Mardi Gras Tips with Kids.
- Taste American BBQ - any BBQ lovers could plan your entire road trip around this theme. There is Carolina-style, Memphis-style, Kansas City-style and Texas-style.
- Tailgating at a College Football Game (or NFL Game) - as sports fans one of our favorite things in the US is tailgating with friends in the car park before a game enjoying a grill out (BBQ) and a few drinks! Such a fun tradition.
- Visit Any State Fair - Americans adore fast food and few places do it like a fair. Throw in rides and tacky entertainment and its classic Americana.
- The Seventh Inning Stretch at a Baseball Game - Baseball is known as America’s “national pastime” and watching a game with a hot dog in one hand and a beer in the other and singing “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” is a scene symbolic to American culture. Our Faves: Red Sox at Fenway, and Durham Bulls.
- And things like enjoying Thanksgiving dinner with an American family, or drive part of Route 66, or see a Broadway show in NYC, eat soul food in the South.
No matter your passion, hobby or cultural preference, America has a festival or experience for that!
Some fun cultural experiences to consider:
UNIQUELY USA - TRAVEL IDEAS AND HIGHLIGHTS
No matter your interests, you can find USA attractions and experiences to match your style. Click the image below to find experiences and attractions that suit what you're looking for! Almost all of our content and tips are based upon personal experience!
FOLLOW OUR CURRENT ADVENTURES
Travel has been the focus of our life since 1997 - intentionally.
We don't plan on stopping that. We now have a base in Raleigh, NC - after being granted a Green Card for our extraordinary ability in the art of travel blogging.
We will continue to explore more of the US but also intend on traveling further abroad - Europe, South East Asia and Central and South America.
We can't wait to share more of our favorites as we experience them.
Be sure to join our free VIP email community - form below for loads of free US travel planning resources.
And connect with us on social for live udpates!
ALL USA EXPERIENCES ARTICLES
Browse through all our articles on unique and fun experiences in the USA.