USA ROAD TRIP IDEAS
BUCKLE UP and get ready to enjoy the drive.
The BEST way to experience the USA in all its grandeur is to take a good old American road trip. We've been taking them now for years, and STILL haven't seen it all.
There is probably no country on earth that offers such a huge diversity of landscapes, outdoor adventures, cultural experiences, small towns and big cityscapes.
Choose a direction: up, down, right, left, straight, zig zap and fill up the tank and open up your mind and your memory bank. You're about to be dazzled.
On this page, you'll find some of our best road trip experiences yet, with a few USA road trip tips, and future highlights.
Be sure to join our email community (form below) to keep updated as we continue to take road trips and find more incredible experiences to share with you.
TOP USA ROAD TRIP TIPS
RESEARCH AND PLAN WELL
As much as I love winging it, and on some road trips, we recommend doing that, in a country as big and diverse as the USA careful road trip planning is needed - especially for those longer road trips.
As an Australian, the insane crowds in the USA is difficult to get used to. But, you have to, else you could miss out on your star attractions. It does impact on the "freedom" of the road, but will ensure you're not disappointed.
WATCH THE WEATHER
One of the reasons we did not like our long term RV trip was the difficulty of planning travel around the weather.
We literally had about 2 weeks of warm weather out of the 10 months and were constantly rearranging our plans due to snow storms!
REDUCE YOUR COSTS
A road trip can be a cost effective way to travel. Look for ways to reduce your costs even more, such as:
- Camp. It's relatively cheap, and you can even camp in places for free. Craig and I road tripped Southeast USA and from NC to LA sleeping mostly in the back of our van or camping.
- Focus on one region at a time. Go deep and wide.
- Road trip with friends and split the cost.
- Look for sightseeing passes and other tourist discount cards for city stops
- Explore the great outdoors - pack the car with paddle boards/ kayaks, bikes and snorkeling gear. You will NOT regret it and your adventures will be monumental.
ROAD TRIP SURVIVAL GUIDES
CLASSIC USA ROAD TRIPS
Some classic American road trips include :
- The Blue Ridge Parkway - This drive makes its way through the mountains of North Carolina and Virginia. You can spot wildlife, watch sunsets over the wilderness, enjoy dozens of hikes and mountain towns.
- Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) - the classic west coast road trip up or down the California coast which takes in cosmopolitan cities, surf towns and charming coastal enclaves.
- Southwest National Parks Road Trip - visit some of the most incredible national parks in the country like the
- Route 66: The captivating Route 66 invokes images of a bygone Mom and Pop era filled with iconic roadside attractions, neon signs and places to get your kicks! It runs over 2,000 miles between Chicago and Los Angeles through the heart of the USA and was once known as the Main Street of America.
- The Road to Hana, Hawaii: one of the most famous road trips in Hawaii. The 45-mile road to Hana drive from Paia to Hana is embedded on the side of the high jungle cliffs plunging into the sea revealing panoramic Pacific Ocean views, bamboo jungle and Norfolk pines, sacred waterfalls and swimming holes, lava tubes, tropical flowers and roadside food stands.
east coast road trip ideas
An east coast drive will offer you diversity of culture, history, food and stunning natural scenery.
Here are some of our favorite places to visit on an East Coast road trip + itinerary ideas and helpful tips
- Your Guide to WOW experiences on a South Florida Road Trip
- 7 Helpful Tips for planning a New England Trip in the Fall
- An East Coast Revolutionary War Trail Road Trip
- A Mountains and Music Road Trip
- 18 Things to do on a North Florida road trip
- A 4 week Dallas to Boston road trip
- Shenandoah Valley road trip getaway
- Places to visit on a Southeast road trip
WEST COAST ROAD TRIP IDEAS
Wow! What a spectacular region to road trip through.
From the incredible diversity of California to the rugged coastline, lush forests, and mountain landscapes of the Pacific Northwest, there are memorable moments everywhere you turn.
Here are a few of our favorites.
Southwest Road Trip Ideas
For us, there is no greater place to road trip then Southwest USA.
A dramatic landscape of colors, strange rock formations, canyons, deserts, and mountain ranges.
Expect awesome at every turn. It's also abundant with national parks and monuments, state parks, and other wide open rugged spaces.
UNIQUELY USA - TRAVEL IDEAS AND HIGHLIGHTS
No matter your interests, you can find USA attractions and experiences to match your style. Click the image below to find experiences and attractions that suit what you're looking for! Almost all of our content and tips are based upon personal experience!
FOLLOW OUR CURRENT ADVENTURES
Travel has been the focus of our life since 1997 - intentionally.
We don't plan on stopping that. We now have a base in Raleigh, NC - after being granted a Green Card for our extraordinary ability in the art of travel blogging.
We will continue to explore more of the US but also intend on traveling further abroad - Europe, South East Asia and Central and South America.
We can't wait to share more of our favorites as we experience them.
Be sure to join our free VIP email community - form below for loads of free US travel planning resources.
And connect with us on social for live udpates!
5 USA Destinations to Knock Your Socks Off
Want help planning your USA travels? After years exploring the country in-depth (38 states), here are five destinations in the US we love and keep returning to. Plus, our free VIP email community gets access to a range of checklists, tipping guides, and itinerary ideas. All easy to print off PDF formats. Click here to join and receive the guides.
ALL USA ROAD TRIP ARTICLES
Browse through all our articles on unique and fun road trips in the USA.