South Coast NSW deserves a road trip.
After having recently spent five weeks discovering the south coast for the first time, we usually head north from Sydney, it’s now one of our favourite regions in Australia.
Why a two week itinerary? No reason, you could actually do five like we did and not get bored, but most people generally have a two week period for travel.
From the stunning beaches, to the hinterland, to the hundreds of wild kangaroos hopping around, South Coast NSW is a great alternative to heading north, maybe even better!
2 Nights in Wollongong
Heading south from Sydney, drive through the Royal National Park and make you way down the Grand Pacific Drive, stopping at Bald Head Lookout, the Scarborough Hotel for lunch, then over the Sea Cliff Bridge to Wollongong.
Things to do in Wollongong:
- Cycle the Wollongong foreshore
- North Wollongong Beach
- Nan Tien Temple
- Science Centre & Planetarium
Plaes to Eat & Drink in Wollongong
Where to Stay in Wollongong:
2 Nights Kangaroo Valley
Head south from Wollongong and stop at Gerringong for coffee, then lunch at the Great Southern Hotel in Berry.
Kangaroo Valley is as green as Ireland and with the Australian bush and escarpments framing it, it’s really a pretty place to spend a few days.
Things to do in Kangaroo Valley:
- Historic Hampden Bridge
- Fitzroy Falls
- See wild wombats at Bendeela Picnic Area
- Upper Kangaroo river for a picnic or bbq
- Cycle (or drive) the Upper Kangaroo River Road
Places to Eat & Drink in Kangaroo Valley:
- Barrengarry store (famous for pies)
- The fudge shop
- The Friendly Inn Hotel
- Burrawang Village Hotel
Places to Stayin Kangaroo Valley:
4 Nights Jervis Bay
The Jervis Bay area needs most of your attention. 4 nights/3 days at a minimum.
Things to do in Jervis Bay:
- Hyams Beach
- White Sands Walk
- Green Patch Beach
- Greenfields Beach
- Murrays Beach
- Chinamans Beach
- Booderee National Park
- Scottish Rocks
- Kayak along Currambene Creek
- Go fishing / whale watching
Places to Eat & Drink in Jervis Bay:
- The Husky Pub
- Husky Bakery & Cafe (famous for pies)
- Hyams Beach Cafe
- Picnic or BBQ at any of the Beaches
Places to Stay in Jervis Bay:
2 Nights Murramarang National Park
Want to see wild kangaroos on the beach? Come here!
Things to do in Murramarang National Park
- Pretty Beach
- Pebbly Beach (famous for kangaroos)
- Depot Beach
- Durras Beach
- The Pretty Beach to Merry Beach coastal walk
Places to Stay Murramarang National Park:
2 Nights Narooma
Narooma is stunning. The scenery is breathtaking and so unique. I don’t think I have ever seen water that colour before in any other place in NSW.
Things to do in Narooma:
- The Boardwalk (look for stingrays)
- Bar Beach
- Bar Lookout
- 12 km to cycle way to Dalmeny Beach
- Australia Rock at sunrise
- Montague Island Nature Reserve (breathtaking wildlife sanctuary)
- Central Tilba Markets
Places to Eat & Drink in Narooma:
- The Quarterdeck (cool cafe and bar on the water)
2 Nights Merimbula
We actually stayed in Eden when we visited Merimbula, but don’t stay in Eden. Merimbula is a nicer town.
Things to do in Merimbula:
- Ben Boyd National Park (don’t miss the Pinnacles)
- Mimosa Rocks National Park
- Merimbula Bar Beach
- Short Point Beach
- Whale watching in Eden
- Many accommodation options available
Where is South Coast NSW?
The South Coast NSW region begins just outside of Sydney and stretches from the Royal National Park to Eden.
Have you already been to South Coast NSW?
What places would you add to this list?