USA TRAVEL GUIDE
Are you looking for expert advice and insider tips on travel in the USA?
We are Aussies who now live in the USA and have spent years road tripping across the country collecting a ton of tips and destination stories we love to share with you as your persona advisors!
Scroll down to find our tips on the best things to do in the USA including travel costs, itinerary ideas, road trips and more.
UNIQUELY USA - TRAVEL IDEAS AND HIGHLIGHTS
No matter your interests, you can find USA attractions and experiences to match your style. Click the image below to find experiences and attractions that suit what you're looking for! Almost all of our content and tips are based upon personal experience!
BEST USA TRAVEL TIPS
When you visit the USA there is a lot to consider when planning a USA trip.
There’s the logistics of flights and how to get around, deciding which states and cities to visit, what attractions to see, which hotels to stay in, and the concerns of how much things will cost.
You may also be wondering about the smaller things, that can often shape our moments and memories. That is the local life you encounter when you travel in the USA.
- What are the people like?
- Will they understand me?
- Do they only have fast food?
- Is it scary driving on the opposite side of the road?
- What are the cultural dos and don’ts?
We have many articles and videos that share both the logistics of travel and what to expect as you encounter the diversity of its culture. Join our email community so you don't miss inspiration and insights on each new USA travel experience we encounter.
Top USA Travel Tips
- The best experiences in the USA lay beyond LA, Disneyland and Las Vegas. Go further and deeper.
- Research, careful planning and booking ahead is important when traveling in the USA. It's too big and too popular.
- There is nothing like an American road trip. Plan for it.
- The weather can be tricky to navigate for much of the country outside of the popular summer months. Ask any state in the USA and they'll tell you the best month to travel in their state is September!!
- The USA is no longer a cheap destination, but you can find many deals and ways to save money.
USEFUL USA PLANNING POSTS
Here are a few of our favorite USA experiences. Click on the image to learn more.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT USA TRAVEL
Be prepared before visiting the USA with the basic information and important facts.
American English is the main language spoken in the USA, with Spanish a close second. But, be warned - Americans find it hard to pick other English speaking people's accent and may have trouble understanding you, especially if you use Aussie Lingo!!
The USA's national currency is the US Dollar, which comes in denominations of $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100. Coins come in pennies (1c), nickels (5c), dimes (10c) and quarters (25c).
We have generally found America a very safe and welcoming place to visit. Don't listen to all the news telling you otherwise. Keep your wits about you, and research areas that may be prone to natural disasters.
Credit Cards are widely accepted including AMEX, which rarely comes with an extra fee. ATMs can be found everywhere. ALWAYS carry cash for things like tips!! We always get caught out with that one.
In the United States of America, the power plugs and sockets are of type A and B. The standard voltage is 120 V and the standard frequency is 60 Hz.
WI-FI & INTERNET
Free Wi-Fi is readily available in the US at cafes, libraries and hotels. It can be slow in congested areas. AT& T and Verizon are the two phone/data providers we have used and have gotten best coverage.
USA DESTINATION IDEAS
There are so many incredible destinations and experiences waiting for you in the USA. We share round up posts of bucket list highlights and itinerary guides for popular destinations and the lessor known. Here are a few to get you started!
- 45 Fun and unique things to do in North Carolina
- 6 Places to visit on a Washington road trip
- 46 Incredible things to do in California
- 45 Fun things to do in Utah
- 5 Day Itinerary for the Big Island of Hawaii
- 29 Best things to do in Arizona
- 13 Small Towns in the USA (you haven't heard of but want to visit)
OUR TOP 5 FAVORITES IN THE US
Click on each link below to for in-dpeth tips on our USA favorites. We'd love to hear yours! Share with us on our socials or join our VIP email community so we can chat more!
WHAT REGION IN THE USA DO YOU WANT TO VISIT?
The USA is divided into six main geographical regions. Click the image to head straight to our tips and resource guides for the region you are planning to visit. You can also keep scrolling down to choose based on a state level.
BEST TIME TO VISIT THE USA
The diversity of the USA offers travel experiences across all four seasons. Careful planning will be needed as some areas may be closed during the winter months, or prone to hurricanes and tornadoes during the warmer months.
Warm days across the country with generally high temperatures. Expect high crowds and high prices. The East Coast will be humid and the west dry. Offers a short window of travel time in some regions of the country due to higher altitudes and early or late snow. (Jan - March will be high season for ski resorts)
Milder temperatures and fewer crowds. Spring flowers will delight in April and the fiery Fall colors in many places will amaze. You'll find many festivals starting or finishing the season and in the Southeast there are plenty of opportunities for your beach vacation.
Wintry days with snowfall in the north and heavier rains in some regions. Many areas in the country will be closed off or access limited. You'll find great deals and low prices for accommodations in many places. Expect higher crowds and prices in ski resorts and warm destinations like Florida and Arizona.
We love September and October for travel, particularly in the Southeast. You'll still find gorgeously warm days so can enjoy the beaches and outdoors with fewer crowds. We also LOVE the many music, arts, and brew festivals still happening AND with the start of the Fall sports, there is a LOT of fun sporting events to enjoy.
SAVE MONEY ON USA TRAVEL
We love saving money on tours and attractions in the US, and cool accommodation options that cost less.
A few tips:
- Consider a road trip over flying. With a country as compact as the US, you'll see and do a lot at a cheaper price (with less hassle)
- RV trips or camping can save a lot of money. The bonus is the view from your bedroom is SUBLIME.
- Try different airports to get a better flight price. Some destinations may be in easy reach of 2-3 different airports.
- Apartment rentals are a fantastic option for families and groups of people traveling
- Travel outside of peak season.
- Utilize tourist attraction passes. They can save you a ton of money in popular destinations.
Here are a few money saving posts on US travel:
TOP EVENTS IN THE USA
There are so many fun festivals and events in the USA year round. These will form some of your best memories on your USA travels. Do your research to find one that aligns with your passions and interests. Look for lessor known events as well. Here are some of the most well known events in the USA.
- NATIONAL CHERRY BLOSSOM FESTIVAL: Washington D.C. (March)
- SOUTH BY SOUTHWEST: Austin, TX (March)
- ST PATRICK'S DAY: Chicago (March 17th)
- JAZZ FEST: New Orleans (April)
- BEALE ST MUSIC FEST: Memphis (May)
- BONNAROO MUSIC & ARTS FESTIVAL: Tennessee (June)
- CHICAGO BLUES FESTIVAL: Chicago (June)
- GAY PRIDE: Nationwide (June)
- INDEPENDENCE DAY: Nationwide (July 4th)
- BURNING MAN FESTIVAL: Nevada (Sept)
- WORLD OF BLUEGRASS: Raleigh, NC (Sept/Oct)
- HALLOWEEN: Nationwide (Oct 31)
- THANKSGIVING: Nationwide (4th Thursday Nov)
WHAT USA STATE ARE YOU INTERESTED IN?
When we think of the travel experiences you can have in the USA, we think of the word DIVERSITY. In fact, you could almost rename it the United States of Diversity.
From the beaches to the mountains, big cities to the small towns, national parks, deserts, lakes, great food, music, sports and the arts, there is something here for everyone.
With a total of 50 states the USA is a BIG country. But each state feels quite different from the next, both in landscape and culture. We've been traveling the USA in-depth for three years on short USA road trips, weekend getaways, and a 12 month RV trip across the country.
And with so many things to experience when you visit the USA, we know that it might sound a bit overwhelming. But that’s where we come in, your personal USA travel advisors.
Be sure to join our free VIP email community below as we continue to share inspiration and ideas for USA travel (and beyond).
FOLLOW OUR CURRENT ADVENTURES
Travel has been the focus of our life since 1997 - intentionally.
We don't plan on stopping that. We now have a base in Raleigh, NC - after being granted a Green Card for our extraordinary ability in the art of travel blogging.
We will continue to explore more of the US but also intend on traveling further abroad - Europe, South East Asia and Central and South America.
We can't wait to share more of our favorites as we experience them.
Be sure to join our free VIP email community - form below for loads of free US travel planning resources.
And connect with us on social for live udpates!
FREE USA TRAVEL PLANNING GUIDES
Want help planning your USA travels? Our free VIP email community gets access to a range of checklists, tipping guides, and itinerary ideas. All easy to print off and follow PDF formats! Fill in the form to join