Working Holidays Around The World – Getting Started Guide

If there’s one piece of advice I could give to any young person interested in working overseas, is to consider applying for a Working Holiday Visa. This is a visa which permits you to work and live in a specific country. It’s also your gateway to the world.

The benefits are manifold. Working holidays around the world allow you to slow travel, to save money, to use your new home as a base for more travel and to avoid large gaps in your resume.

The Working Holiday Visa

working holiday london
Teaching in London in 1997

This may not be news at all for anyone coming from New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Japan or the United Kingdom. Reciprocal working holiday schemes were established between these countries in the 1980s.

The primary intention of this visa is to promote greater mutual understanding between cultures and to assist travelers in subsidizing their holidays.

And initially this was how most people utilized the visa. They would get casual jobs in bars, hostels and odd-jobs or seasonal work during their travels.

The New Working Holiday Maker

Living in the US
Teaching in the US

There’s also another breed of working holiday maker.

These are skilled professionals with higher education and a few years of experience. Rather than create unwanted gaps in their resume, they seek employment in their field of expertise.

This may not technically be the intention of the visa but from personal experience, once you’re hired your employer doesn’t care – as long as you still have the legal right to work in the country. I’ve had working holiday visas for United Kingdom, Czech Republic and Canada.

This has allowed me to work in a professional capacity while slow traveling the world. In Canada, my working holiday visa even led to being sponsored for a work visa, and ultimately assisted in me gaining permanent residency.

Global Work and Travel (the easy way)

Want to work and travel the easy way in Australia?

Since 2013, Global Work and Travel have been helping travelers work and fund their travels through cultural exchange programs both paid and unpaid, including working holidays, au pair, internships, teaching English, and study abroad.

One of the elements of a successful working holiday is to find local, seasonal employment to use as a means to fund your travels. This is not easy, but, Global Work and Travel makes it so as they have spent years with hundreds of local businesses that do hire travelers.

We are enthusiastic partners of theirs as we believe in what they do, avid lovers of working abroad, and know they can help you! We will link to separate country programs in the next section. Save this promotional coupon code!

Read our full review post on Global Work and Travel

EXCLUSIVE DEAL: Just for our readers: $100 off your trip (whatever your currency) You must use the code: YTRAVEL
Click here to learn more and use your discount code!

Why Should You Care?

Working holidays around the world

Working holiday programs are no longer exclusive to only New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Japan and the United Kingdom.

The concept has been so successful that the number of partner countries has been increasing each year, with countries like South Korea, Singapore, Argentina, Hong Kong and many European countries, initiating programs of their own.

As of writing, the three countries leading the charge are Australia (37 partner countries), New Zealand (38 partner countries) and Canada (31 partner countries).

Want to work in Australia?

You can if you are from:

United Kingdom, Canada, Netherlands, Japan, Ireland, South Korea, Malta, Germany, Denmark, Spain, Sweden, Norway, Hong Kong, Finland, Cyprus, France, Italy, Belgium, Estonia, Taiwan, Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Iran, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey, USA.

Discover what it’s like to live like a local on our Working Holiday in Australia trip. Explore Australia’s collection of natural beauty and sun-kissed cities, and have the security of a local income to fund your trip.

Learn more and use your discount here (Code: ytravel)

Want to work in New Zealand?

You can if you are from:

Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Latvia, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Peru, Poland, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, USA, Uruguay.

Discover what it’s like to live like a local on our Working Holiday in New Zealand trip. In the North Island, admire the white-sand beaches, sip wine at world-class wineries, unwind in the hot springs or trek to the top of a volcano. Further south, raft down raging rapids, explore the stunning snow-capped mountains, hike the uncrowded trails and ski the pristine powder.

Learn more and use your discount here (Code: ytravel)

Want to work in Canada?

You can if you are from:

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, Ukraine.

Picture your summers filled with paddling on emerald blue waters and your winters atop snowcapped peaks, sipping boozy hot chocolates and skiing on the freshest powder.

Learn more and use your discount here (Code: ytravel)

(Don’t see your country listed? Don’t give up hope. Check out Swap, Bunac, AIESEC, Sasts, Camp America or New Zealand’s Silver Fern Visa for alternative options)

But wait, what’s the catch?

learning how to cook
My students teaching me (Bangkok)

The main one is age. Most programs require you to be between 18-30 (sometimes up to 35). Yes there are a few more rules and they do seem to change all the time.

Often, the changes seem to benefit the working holiday maker but in the case of the United Kingdom’s Youth Mobility Scheme, the rules seem to change on a whim. (One year, you could live and work for up to 24 months, and then they only allowed you to work for 12 out of 24 months. Now it’s back to 24 months but with less partner countries.)

The rule of thumb is that each partner country negotiates a separate agreement, therefore the rules and annual quotas are often completely different. (They may not even reciprocate the program in the same manner.)

For example, the International Experience Canada visa is for unlimited Australian citizens between 18-30, allowing them to live and work in Canada for up to 2 years. Whereas, the International Experience Canada visa is for up to 2,500 New Zealand citizens between 18-35 and only allows the 1 year.

It can all get a bit confusing. You usually have to show proof of funds, but sometimes you may even have to provide a police report or medicals or education status or have global health insurance or be resident in your home country when applying.

Make sure to check the requirements carefully before you apply.

Further to this, even when you are granted a working holiday visa, employers may not understand what it is! I went to the Czech Republic in the first year a working holiday agreement was made. During interviews, employers would be lost in translation and be put off by the word “holiday”.

In one of my early interviews, a lady actually snapped at me on the phone and said “This is a job, not a holiday” and promptly slammed down the phone. After that, I referred to my visa as a 1-year work visa and no further questions were asked about it.

OK I’m Sold. How Do I Get Started?

For more information, here are just a few country-specific pages:

You can also contact the foreign embassy/consulate for your home country, to see what programs they have available. You never know, a new working holiday agreement may be in the works.

The Easy Way to Work and Travel the World

 Global Work & Travel is the youth travel platform that connects travelers with opportunities to work & fund their travels abroad through cultural exchange experiences like working holiday, volunteering, au pair, study abroad, teaching and internships.

EXCLUSIVE DEAL: Just for our readers: $100 off your trip (whatever your currency) You must use the code: YTRAVEL

Final Thoughts

Before you get put off by all the variables, consider this: A working holiday visa is perhaps the easiest work visa to get. Even easier than getting a visa to teach English or work on a cruise ship.

Apart from the age requirements, the barriers-to-entry are incredibly low.

For example if you want to apply for a regular work visa in a foreign country your employer often needs to prove that they advertised the job for a specific length of time and that no suitable candidates were found.

And even if you’re granted the visa, you are most likely bonded to that specific employer. A working holiday visa permits you to practically work for anyone, in almost any industry.

Now for the most important question: which country do you want to work in?

Want more tips about working holidays?

4 Powerful Ways to Travel More & Create Better Memories
Want to know how we've made a lifetime of travel for 25 years? In
This is what gives us incredible memories to share around the campfire. Join our community for insider tips and updates!
Scroll to Top