Drop your details below and every Wednesday we'll send you a personal email message designed to smash away your fears and move you towards a life of more travel.
PLUS, we'll send you a short audio, Get Travelling: a 5 step plan for turning your travel dreams into reality.
By Chantelle from Fat Mum Slim
I’ve only just been bitten by the travel bug.
Up until about two years ago I was one of those people that was happy exploring my own backyard, with an annual road trip thrown in and a few weekends away added to the mix as well.
I guess that’s more than some people, but it wasn’t really until I ventured overseas that I realized that there is so much of this world that I want to see and explore, and some of that is in our very own backyard too, the lovely Australia.
But there’s something I don’t like about traveling, and that’s paying crazy prices for flights.
I want to save money on flights so I can indulge in a cocktail or two, or a little shopping here or there. You know what I’m talking about, right?
As well as getting the travel bug in the past few years, my family and I have also made a big change from the City to the Country. It means that we’re away from family, and friends, and all the good stuff that comes from living in the City.
It also means that each year we’re spending a big part of our budget to get back down to Sydney from the Gold Coast to see the people we adore (and eat the food we just can’t get in our new home).
Depending on the time of year, and how disorganized we are, the flights can be almost affordable (around $120 per person return) to utter-nonsense (around $300+ per person return).
But I’ve recently stumbled across a little secret.
It’s one of those secrets that’s almost too good to share, in case the sharing of the secret puts a stop to the good stuff. And by good stuff I mean totally INSANE flight prices.
So, if by sharing this it means that there are no more cheap prices and I have to go back to paying UTTERLY RIDICULOUS prices to fly back to my former-home, I’m sorry.
It’s also too good NOT to share. So here goes.
I found out through a friend of a friend that if you go to a foreign Expedia site to buy your flights you save money. And not just a little. Last weekend I flew to Sydney return from the Gold Coast for $65. I’ve seen them for $45 too. Crazy.
1. Go to Expedia.co.jp (the Japanese Expedia site).
2. Yes, it’s all in Japanese. So go up to the top right corner and click English (next to the Twitter icon). Much better, right?
3. Choose your flights and dates.
4. Eeek. The prices are in Yen. That’s cool. Use a currency conversion tool to convert it into Australia dollars (or where ever you’re from). This isn’t exact, but it was almost spot on for me.
5. Choose your flights and purchase them. Some credit cards won’t work. My Visa did. I incurred a $1 fee PLUS the flight costs. I also signed up to Expedia Japan so I could get my itinerary, I suggest doing the same although you will receive an email confirmation from Jetstar Airlines and Expedia.
Check out this article:
Chantelle Ellem is a blogger, photo-taker, explorer, mama, wife and avid raspberry-eater. If she’s not connected to her computer whipping up a blog post, she’s more than likely out at the beach taking photos. You can read her blog at: www.fatmumslim.com.au.
We've helped thousands of readers plan their trips and get on the road. Join our email community and take your first step today!Join Us